Today was cold. And rainy. And cloudy, and a Friday. So what does that mean in the Jet-Set Family home? It means UGG boots and soup. I’ve told myself a million times to prepare big pots of soup and freeze them for days like this, but do you think I would listen to my own advice? Of course not. I never do. I suppose one day I’ll learn, but once again armed with goloshes, I found myself in the aisles of Whole Foods grabbing ingredients for Veggie Soup. Not that that is a bad thing or anything. You see, it doesn’t snow here in Southern California so I have to take ‘winter storms’ when I can get them. Only in small doses though. Just long enough, 24 hours is perfect.
What to grab:
- Olive Oil
- Whole String Beans
- White Mushrooms
- Red Wine
- Celery (optional)
- Low Sodium Vegetable (or Chicken) Broth.
- Tomato Paste
- Corn (I use a can of sweet kernels. Don’t judge.)
The wonderful thing about this recipe is that you can toss in any mixture of veggies you like. I promise there is no way to mess it up! I’ve had friend mix in some cabbage and zucchini, while others have even added chicken.
How to make:
- Heat oil in a pan on Medium with some garlic and chopped onions.
- Add sliced carrots, mushrooms, green beans and (drained) corn. Continue to saute for about 3 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Mix in the tomato paste, oregano, basil, and generously pour in some red wine. Stir until the ingredients look like a sauce.
- Add broth and bring to a boil for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Toss in tortellini, cook for another 10. and DONE!
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Nicole Standley a.k.a. Jet-Set Mom, is a social influencer + lifestylist covering luxury travel, fine-dining, fashion & pop culture for The Trend Tribe. Contributor for CBS LA, Lucky Magazine, Burke Williams Spa & Moonfrye.com, follow her latest travels and escapades on Instagram, Google+ and Twitter.